Sunday 23 February 2014

More Videos

As part of my homework, I have been researching a lot of school lip dubs and thinking about what I think makes a really good lip dub for showcasing a school. Here's one that I thought was not so great. Notice the quick changes and the song isn't well known.



Based on the information I have gathered, I have compiled a list of what I think makes a good lip dub

HANA'S GUIDE TO A GOOD LIP DUB FOR SHOWCASING YOUR SCHOOL:

  1. Choose a song that people will know. If they don't know the song, they won't engage as well.
  2. Choose an upbeat song. A slow song won't capture peoples attention and they may immediately switch off.
  3. When someone is walking through the school and lip-syncing, don't make a lot of sudden changes of person leading the song. A person should sing at least one phrase before changing. 
  4. Make the lip-syncers walk forwards and have the filmers walking backwards. It looks bad on the film if the lip-syncers have to keep looking behind them.
  5. Have people around you doing things that are really what you do at your school. If there are too many things then choose the ones that best showcase your school. Cream pies in the face? Not such a good idea.
  6. Make sure that the people in the background are actually doing something as opposed to just waving their arms in the air.
I have also found some really good lip dubs. This one, from Cleveland High School, has elements I like but also some that I don't. For example, I like that it is a song that I know but I don't like that the background people aren't really doing anything.



My next step is to contact the person who created and managed the StAC lip dub. I need to find out how long approx. it will take and how much it will cost to create my lip dub. I hope that I won't have to refer to a plan B.

Sunshine & Rainbows
Hana


P.S. Please comment to tell me what you think and if you know anyone or anything that might me able to help me. I love hearing what you have to say.

3 comments:

  1. This is really great, Hana. I love your criteria. You are so right about a well-chosen catchy song. Have you got anything in mind?

    I can't wait to see what you come up with. Have you got some experts you can interview- perhaps an editing expert or a sound technician?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hanna, This is a great idea for a project!! I think your guide has some great points and you are really starting to think about this project like a film maker, especially considering the background action as well as what is happening in the foreground. I really like the fact the the StAC Lip Dub is only one song and is only just over 4 minutes. I get board if things go on too long even if they are great. People watching this to get an idea of what Selwyn House is like probably won't watch a twelve minute lip dup, perhaps something for you to consider.
    I really love this idea and will share your blog with my multi-media teacher and perhaps some kids at my school.
    I am really looking forward to seeing your final product I have no doubt it will be fabulous. Keep up the good work.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob,
      That's a good point about the length of the video and is definitely something that I will need to consider. Please feel free to share the blog with anybody you like. The more the merrier. Thank-you for commenting and please comment again. It's great to hear what others think of my blog and makes me feel like its being read.
      Thanks again
      Hana

      Delete