Wednesday 23 April 2014

FREAKING OUT!!! (But getting a steadicam)

Today, I called up one of my contacts, Daniel. He works for IDo Films and I knew that he owned a steadicam. I was really nervous just before calling - I think it's because I like being able to see the people I'm talking too. Before I called, I wrote down a list of questions that I wanted to ask him and I practised the beginning of the phone call with Mum!

Before

During

After

I didn't need to worry - Daniel was really nice and easy to speak with! He gave me lots of great advice about steadicams. Basically, they are like a pogo stick which a camera sits on, connected to a springy arm which is connected to a vest that the steadicam operator wears. This means that any footage that is filmed is steady even when the operator is moving around - hence the name steadicam.

A Steadicam and Operator

Daniel gave me lot of information about the cost of hiring a steadicam and an operator. I am thinking of using a half day option which is $500 for 4 hours for the steadicam plus $150 an hour for the operator. I don't think I will need the full day 8 hour option because of the small size of our school. 

This was a very exciting experience. I enjoyed being a risk-taker with this and I am really proud of myself! Next step for this part of the project is putting the costs together into a proposal and meeting with my new principal and the marketing manager at my school.

Thanks heaps Daniel!

Ring Places for Steadicam ✔

Sunshine & Rainbow
Hana

P.S - OVER 1,000 PAGE VIEWS!!
       
Thanks to all of my viewers.
   

8 comments:

  1. Well done! I knew you could do it. Getting used to asking for help is such a useful skill - even though it is scary. Look forward to seeing the proposal.
    xx Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such exciting news!!! I am so proud of you and impressed by your phone skills. You have set your sights high...and up you go! Can't wait to hear more. -Señora Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys
    I can't wait to see it all come together. I think I might pay him to operate it and then I will go around making sure that everything is working.
    Hana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hana.
    Your personal project sounds amazing, great work! You have made so much progress already! You are amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product.
    Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hana,

    Good on you for making this phone call and you are definitely not the first Y8 student to be a little nervous about this task! Sometimes we adults take making phone calls for granted- we forget that students like you are more skilled at emailing and writing in online spaces like this blog than many adults but that you might not have had a lot of practice at making phone calls since the advent of Skype/ texting and connecting through tools like instagram. Phone calls are a little bit "old school" but it is such a great skill to have. Well done, Hana!

    Great to have to the steadicam organised! Very exciting!

    Well done on the blog views. Did you have cake? I bet you did! ;)

    Mrs C-M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cake but lots of chocolate

      Delete
  6. Hi Hana Very brave well done ! I didn't know what a steadicam was soI learned something. Go girl.. even as an adult it can be scary to phone someone you don't know. Practicing and having written questions are great aids. Best luck to you.
    Prue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Please feel free to share this blog with anyone. I like receiving comments and please vote on my song poll.
      Hana

      Delete